Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fortuitous!: July 4 Abroad

(Note in advance: I took the risk of taking photos on my phone today, so yes, there are pictures in this entry!)


Dear readers:

This post is called "Fortuitous!" not just because it's one of my favorite words, but because the pattern of today was fortuitousness:

1) When I decided to take this trip abroad, I was able to fit London into the trip, and was, amazingly, able to visit the same two friends I visited in London last year, in the beginning of the blog. Pretty phenomenal that I've been able to see them again so soon! One of the two is kindly housing me and Kallista at her flat, and has been an excellent hostess.

2) The friend who's hosting us had her birthday yesterday! We didn't have any sort of blow-out celebration, because she's having a party after we leave, but we did go out to eat at a Chinese restaurant of her choosing.

Today was the most fortuitous of all; the two friends, Kallista, a friend of one of the two (who was visiting from Italy!), and I, all spent the better part of the afternoon together, eating lunch, wandering the Thames, and talking about anything and everything: psychology, public object color choices in the UK vs. the US, "units of transportation", types of mosaics, the Moominhouse, etc.

We visited Southwark Cathedral:



 as well as St. Katharine Pier:



and then we split up. Kallista and our hostess and I went as a group to a spoken word poetry event called "Bang Said The Gun". Fortuitously (again!), we were the only Americans there, and were called out on it -- teasingly, but lovingly. And all the while, in celebration of my home country, I had a delicious American brew.


Good times all around.

That's all for now. Tomorrow: Canterbury!

- Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment